If you decide to choose a laptop for gaming, pay attention not only to the specifications of the gadget but also to the features of the display and keyboard ergonomics. Try to evaluate all the parameters and approach the choice of a comprehensive approach.
The Graphics Processor
The performance of the graphics card (GPU) determines the laptop’s functionality. Most modern devices have Nvidia GeForce GTX graphics processors. Graphics cards of the 16-th and 20-th series provide high performance when running resource-intensive games. In addition, laptops with graphics cards of the latest generation are suitable for network VR and games with top settings.
They provide the highest frame rates and realistic visual effects such as ray tracing, fade in and out at variable speeds. The 2019-2020 gaming laptops are most often equipped with the following types of GPUs:
- GTX 1050 Ti – “pulls” most modern entry-level games at medium settings and allows users to enjoy promising bet odds.
- GTX 1060, GTX 1070/1080 – allows you to play at high settings and “pull” smooth virtual reality effects.
- RTX 2070, RTX 2080 – suitable for video games with 4K resolution. Gives the opportunity to play at maximum settings.
Keep in mind that you won’t be able to upgrade the laptop’s CPU in the future. Choose one that fits into your budget.
Gaming laptops are equipped with Intel and AMD processors. The most popular CPUs are Core i5-9300H, Core i7-9750H and i9-8950HK from Intel. Seventh- and ninth-generation processors often go in tandem with GTX 1070/1080 and RTX 2060/2080 graphics cards. Chips from AMD, such as the Ryzen 5 3550H and Ryzen 7 3750H have improved performance compared to previous series. They belong to a more budget price segment than Intel CPUs.
Powerful processors, as a rule, go in conjunction with high frequency graphics cards. Therefore, laptops with high-performance chips are most often equipped with the latest GPUs.
High-resolution video games require large amounts of RAM. The minimum value of RAM for gaming PCs is 8 GB. But it’s better to choose laptops with 16 GB of memory or more. If necessary, the amount of RAM can be expanded by installing additional modules.
Two types of drives are used for storing information in laptops:
- SSD – solid-state drive.
- HDD – hard disk drive.
They differ in the technology of reading and writing data. Other differences include different operating speeds. The average writing or reading speed of an HDD is between 60 and 200 MB/s. The SSD has a read/write speed of over 500 MB/s. SSDs lose out to hard drives in terms of capacity.
Which type of drive is better? If you decide to choose a laptop for gaming, pay attention to models equipped not only with HDD, but also with an SSD drive. The solid-state element in this case is used for additional data loading. In this case, the SSD volume should be from 128 to 256 GB. So that your laptop can hold all your favorite video games, choose models with an HDD of at least 1TB.
If your budget is limited, you can buy a device with more modest parameters. Later on you can upgrade your storage capacity to whatever you need.
The characteristics of the display determine the quality of the image. Among the important parameters of the monitor is the type of matrix. It determines the color reproduction, contrast, brightness, response time and viewing angles. In gaming laptops are used matrix TN and IPS. IPS matrices provide better image quality than TN elements.
Evaluate other parameters when choosing a monitor as well:
- Choose the diagonal size which is the most comfortable for you. The most common are laptops with 15″ or 17″ screens.
- Most often the monitors of gaming devices have a resolution of 1920×1080. Models with GTX 1070/1080 video chips have 2560×1440 displays, and RTX 2070/2080 have 4K (3840×2160) screens.
- For most modern video games, 60Hz displays are sufficient. Premium segment laptops with FHD technology include displays with refresh rates up to 240 Hz.
Some gaming devices have a function of synchronization of the display and graphics cards. It eliminates the effect of blurring and lagging of the picture.
Gaming Laptops by Top Brands
The company offers gaming laptops based on high-performance AMD Ryzen 5 and 7 processors, as well as Intel Core i7 and i9. ASUS ROG Zephyrus laptops feature a patented aerodynamic system and 12V fans. The dust-proof cooling system ensures stable performance even during long gaming sessions. It has software that allows users to adjust the operation modes of the GPU according to the current task. TUF Series laptops boast high performance, ruggedness, and durability. The keyboards of this family of laptops have an increased service life and are designed for over 20 million keystrokes.
HP produces devices of different price categories. The manufacturer presents several lines of laptops for gaming, among which:
- Pavilion Gaming – versatile laptops suitable for the most popular games.
- Omen – powerful high-performance devices for advanced gamers Built-in command center allows you to customize the system settings.
- Envy – laptops for connoisseurs of compactness and performance.
HP laptops with GeForce RTX 2070/2080 GPUs allow you to play the most demanding games at maximum settings, such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Metro or Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Mid- to high-end models are also ideal for eSports and online gaming sessions.
If you are thinking about what device is better to choose a manufacturer, look at the gaming computers MSI. The brand offers a wide range of products, such as:
- GT – for hardcore gaming. MXM SLI graphics and support for NVIDIA G-Sync technology.
- GS – extreme gaming performance, portability and discreet design.
- Prestige – a series of laptops in strict style, designed for urban players.
- GE – a line of gadgets, providing a complete immersion in modern gaming titles. The series includes devices with graphics cards from GTX950M to GTX970M.
MSI gaming laptops are well suited for graphics-intensive video games. The devices offer high power efficiency and high speed performance. With NVIDIA’s optimized engineering and Max-Q design, gamers can experience the unique balance of power and performance that these laptops deliver.
Lenovo’s gaming devices are state-of-the-art gaming systems with mechanical keyboards and high-resolution screens. The laptops feature the latest Intel Core processors, PCIe SSDs and NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards. The Legion Series delivers the processing power and performance needed for the most demanding video games.
For true gamers, Acer offers a variety of series:
- Aspire are classic laptops, without much frills. This is a great option for studying or working in an office.
- SWIFT – lightweight, compact and functional devices suitable for business tasks, working with documents and presentations
- Predator HELIOS – gamer line of laptops with next-gen processors. Max-Q design, GeForce RTX graphics cards, ability to accelerate clock speeds and incredible performance – all this provides high speed gaming and realistic every gaming session.
The portable DELL XPS series features not only a memorable design but also high performance. Some models have a graphic gas pedal in tandem with the physical one. In addition, the laptops are equipped with two graphics cards. This provides the perfect speed of the gameplay, as well as displaying all the graphical nuances of the game.